Possibly for completely innocent reasons, the Defense Department also deleted January 6 text messages from top Trump officials

Last month we learned that the US Secret Service purge Its a whole bunch of January 6 text messages in the days after the attack. Given that both (1) the organization was ordered to protect them (2) it makes serious effort to permanently delete any electronic communications, let alone those that are government records and ( 3) Said communication could potentially shed a whole bunch of light on what was going on back in the day Donald Trump incited a violent mob to attack the Capitol and imprisoned the then Vice President mike pence‘s life in grave danger, the whole thing seemed very shady. Conspirators too! Nevertheless, it may have been an honest mistake, not a situation in which someone was trying to cover his tracks or the tracks of POTUS, whose undemocratic actions resulted in the death of many. On the other hand, knowing that it was not an argument makes it harder to make that argument. right now Secret Service messages that magically disappeared into thin air.

CNN reports That the Defense Department also erased the phones of high-ranking Defense Department and Army officials at the conclusion of the Trump administration, “deleting any text from key witnesses to the events around January 6, 2021, the attack on the US Capitol, court filings” We know this because American Oversight, the government watchdog, sued the DoD and the military to obtain the Jan. 6 records of the former acting secretary of defense. Chris Miller, former chief of staff Kash Patel, and former army secretary Ryan McCarthy-as well as other top Pentagon officials – and that was the response: that all communications have ceased. (American Oversight reportedly filed its initial Freedom of Information Act request just days after the attack.)

As CNN notes, Miller, Patel and McCarthy are all seen as key witnesses of January 6, noting that they were involved in the DoD’s response to send in the National Guard as the violence unfolded. (Miller declined CNN’s request for comment; Patel and McCarthy did not immediately respond. There is no indication that the three themselves deleted the record.) Soldier reached Around 5:40 p.m. at the Capitol, after most of the violence ended. While Trump has claimed that he “immediately deployed the National Guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and drive out the intruders,” we’ve known for some time now that he saw the attack on TV and tried to stop it. did nothing for Last week, a January 6 panel released Miller’s testimony in which he denied that Trump ever formally ordered 10,000 troops to be deployed to the Capitol. “I was never given any instructions or orders or was aware of any plans of that nature,” Miller said.

DOD messages deleted again in wake of revelation, by Paul, The former Defense Department general counsel told CNN that its report is “the first time I’ve heard of a DoD lawsuit involving a problem with the cell phone I turned on when I left DoD on January 20, 2021.” He continued: “I hadn’t wiped the phone (or ever can I remember) before turning it on. When I turned on the phone, I had no idea what was being done with that device and Nor do I know what exactly was done to that device after I turned it on. If the DoD represented in the lawsuit that the device was wiped after I left DoD on Inauguration Day, I believe It’s quite possible what happened and when, but I don’t know why.”

American Oversight has called for a “cross-agency investigation” by the Justice Department to investigate why and how extremely relevant communications were lost. “It is surprising to believe that the agency did not understand the importance of preserving its records—particularly [with regards] To those top officials who might have been captured: what were they doing, when they were doing it, why were they doing it, that day,” Heather Sawyer, The group’s executive director told CNN. Sawyer said a federal records law that says the government must preserve records that have “the informational value of the data in them.” “I think it is highly unlikely that anyone can argue with a straight face that the informational value of the communications between these top officials on January 6th will not be of the kind that is meant to reach federal records law. ,” she told the outlet.

Secret Service last month Told Its messages were lost due to a previously scheduled phone migration that began on January 27, 2021. Which doesn’t explain why (1) he didn’t stop the migration and (2) why he didn’t heed the order that came on Jan. 16, 2021, nothing to delete. (That the agency’s claim that rank and file employees were personally “responsible for properly protecting government records that could be created via text message” is a whole other matter.)

A former DoD official who worked in a previous administration told CNN that it was the newly hired “that their work equipment was subject to the Presidential Records Act and indicated that their communications would be archived.” To that end, in 2022, most people assume that the communications they send live forever in some form or another, outside the communications that are transmitted via the carrier pigeon.

Appearing on CNN Tuesday Nights, January 6 Committee member zoe lofgren Said the new revelations are of “extreme concern”. Which would be putting it mildly!

twitter content

This material can also be viewed on the site Born From.

Leave a Comment