Police officer, two civilians injured in firing at Arcadia’s house

A man suspected of shooting his brother and an Arcadia police officer was taken into custody after an hour-long standoff on Wednesday night.

The man, in his 40s, was arrested at 10:40 p.m., said Deputy Miguel Meza, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

A source told The Times that the officer was stable and was undergoing surgery at Huntington Memorial Hospital for a gunshot wound to the side of the face affecting his jaw area.

Meja said the incident in the 5200 block of Greenfield Avenue began around 5:45 p.m., when Arcadia police were called to a family dispute with a man armed with a gun.

Meja said the suspect shot his brother and the officer at some point during the incident. A woman who was not related to the suspect was injured by the shrapnel.

Meja said the condition of the suspect’s brother and the woman is also stable.

Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Deputy Brenda Cerna said LA County deputies were first called at 6:02 p.m. to assist Arcadia police officers who caught fire.

Arcadia police confirmed that shots were fired in the area, in accordance with a nixel alert issued after 6:50 p.m., in which residents were advised not to leave their homes until contacted by police.

A law enforcement source told The Times that a gunman allegedly pinned people on Greenfield.

The residential street in southern Arcadia, off the commercial section of Live Oak Avenue, was crowded with at least two black SWAT trucks and dozens of police cruisers as a helicopter circled overhead during the standoff.

As the incident progressed, the officers stood in plain clothes and bulletproof jackets.

Residents returning from work waited in increasing numbers behind police tapes.

Tyler Nitz was quitting his job at a bank down the street when he saw police cars drifting by. He turned on a scanner app on his phone and heard, “shot fired,” “he’s shooting through the door and window,” and “officer down.”

Neitz followed police cars to Greenfield, where he saw SWAT teams and armored vehicles snaking around a house. He didn’t hear any firing.

He told The Times that a man ran towards the house in which the suspect was seen barricading, shouting, “This is my boy!”

Sal was driving on Zaragoza Live Oak Avenue when he saw a greenfield filled with police vehicles. Police from agencies like La Verne, as well as a team of US marshals, were raiding a house, he said.

Additional details about the incident, including the identity of the suspect, were not available on Wednesday night.

Leave a Comment