boxing legend mike tyson Hulu is labeling it as “the streaming version of Slave Master” after allegedly stealing his life story for profit without compensation.
In a series of statements posted to his social media accounts on Saturday, Tyson reiterated that he does not support Hulu’s upcoming limited series chronicling his life in and out of the ring. “Mike” Premieres August 25.
“Don’t let Hulu fool you. I don’t endorse his story about my life,” Tyson, 56, wrote in a statement posted. Instagram. “It’s not 1822. It’s 2022. They stole my life story and didn’t pay me. To Hulu executives I’m just the one.” [N-word] They can sell on the auction block.”
The former undisputed world heavyweight champion continued his complaint on Twitter. He called Hulu’s series One “Slave Master Takes Story About My Life,” adding the hashtag “#slaveryisdead” to another Tweet,
This isn’t the first time Tyson has spoken out against “Mike.” After Hulu first ordered a limited series in February 2021, Tyson punched back against the project.
“Hulu’s announcement to do an unofficial mini-series of the Tyson story without compensation, although unfortunate, is not surprising,” Tyson said. Told those days. “This announcement, on the heels of social inequalities in our country, is a prime example of how Hulu’s corporate greed led to this voiceless cultural misapplication of Tyson’s life story.”
He continued: “Announcing this during Black History Month only reaffirms Hulu’s concern for the dollar in honor of Black Story rights. Hollywood needs to be more sensitive to Black experiences, especially whatever happens in 2020.” Has happened.”
In March 2021, Tyson announced that he was working on his own “authorized story”. Starring Jamie Foxx as himself. Filmmakers Martin Scorsese and Foxx are also among the producers. “I’ve been wanting to tell my story for a long time,” he said.
According to Hulu“Mike,” an 8-episode limited series, “explores the ups and downs of Tyson’s boxing career and personal life—from being a beloved global athlete to a pariah and back again. … ‘Mike’ There’s an unofficial one and no—the take on Mike Tyson’s life—and it’s been a wild ride.” Trevante Rhodes will star as Tyson.
Executive producers Steven Rogers and Karin Geist addressed criticism of Tyson at the Television Critics Association earlier this week.
Rogers told reporters on Thursday, “We couldn’t really talk to him because his life rights were already taken away, so he was never on the table. I hope he gives his opinion if he sees it.” will change.” entertainment tonight. “For me, as a writer, as a storyteller, I really don’t like to rely on just one source. I really like to research and get all these different opinions and then a story around that. Likes to lay. I don’t like to behold just for one person.”
Geist continued: “It was our intention to tell the story so that we are talking about more than just the events of his life, but rather by placing the story in the context of the world and the time. We really We wanted to make sure that we were as comprehensive as possible in the research and dramatization of the events of his life and that we could make sure that we were also opening the door to other conversations happening around those things.
Tyson responded through his rep on Thursday statement to Entertainment Tonight: “My right to life option expired years ago. Neither Hulu nor any of their superserious teams ever tried to engage in any kind of conversation with this black man. …
“They say this story is a black man’s quest. It’s like a black man’s exploits. Hulu seems to have hired black sacrificial lambs to cover their tracks because of their backdoor The role of the men in front of the robbery is appalling. I will always remember this blatant disregard for my dignity.”
USA Today Sports reached out to Hulu for comment.
Contribution: The Associated Press