Eleven-year-old Lisa Cox is still in pain after hurting her arm Stuck in an escalator in Santa Ana on Sunday.
“It feels like when someone is startling you with something over and over again, like every five seconds,” Cox said.
Cox, her cousin and older sister were dropped off at the Mainplace Mall to watch a movie when the girls climbed the escalator.
“We were going downstairs, and I looked down and my shoe was open,” Cox said.
Then he realized that his shovels got stuck in the walking steps.
“So I tried to take the string out of my shoe, and eventually I took it out, but then I fell backwards,” she said.
Closer to ground level, he attempted to pull himself up using a moving handrail, but he lost his balance, and his hand was pulled down.
“It felt like someone was sucking my hand with a vacuum or something. That’s when I heard this sound and my hand went down,” she said.
Cox was trapped. Her older sister cried out for help, while her cousin pressed the emergency shutoff button.
“They clicked once to see what would work and it would, so they tried it again, didn’t work so they started spamming it and it never stopped. ie, until This guy didn’t come along and was like, ‘Are you okay? What am I?’ I’m like, ‘I don’t know, try to stop it.’ So he sits on it and my cousin slaps him very hard with his finger and finally he stops,” she said.
By the time rescuers arrived, his forearm was almost completely nailed to the base of the railing.
“When I opened the mall door, I heard her scream. I was trying to get to him as fast as I could,” Cox’s mother Lisa Rausch said.
It took more than an hour with special rescue equipment to free Cox. After that he was taken to the hospital.
Rausch believes the escalator had a faulty shutoff button.
“It should have stopped the first time it was pushed and it didn’t,” Rausch said.
The mall has defended the shutoff button in a statement.
“It is important to note that the escalator was in full compliance with the safety requirements; It was working properly, and it shut down on its own as expected. We have reviewed the CCTV footage of the incident, and that video confirms that the safety switch did exactly what it was supposed to do to prevent further injury,” the statement said.
The mall will not allow KTLA to view the footage, and the family says they have been contacted by a lawyer.
suggest an improvement