Ex-Seahawks QB Available After 'Unexpected' Cut: Report – Heavy.com

Getty Quarterback Brett Hundley played for head coach Pete Carroll and the Seahawks in 2018.
A former Seattle Seahawks quarterback is available after getting cut by the Baltimore Ravens on Tuesday, August 16.
The Ravens announced the release of veteran quarterback Brett Hundley. Hundley had been competing with Tyler Huntley and undrafted rookie Anthony Brown to be the backup to starter Lamar Jackson.
“Baltimore placed outside linebacker Trent Harris on injured reserve and released veteran quarterback Brett Hundley,” reported Ryan Mink of Ravens.com. “The Ravens signed Hundley in late May. He played the final series in the Ravens’ preseason opener, going 2-for-2 passing for 42 yards and two rushes for three yards.”
NFL reporter Dov Kleiman called Hundley’s release “unexpected.”
“Another unexpected cut: #Ravens are releasing backup QB Brett Hundley, per PFN,” Kleiman tweeted.
Read More From Heavy
Bet $5, Automatically Win $150 as the NFL Returns
ALL the latest Seahawks news straight to your inbox! Join the Heavy on Seahawks newsletter here!
The 29-year-old Hundley previously spent the 2018 season with the Seahawks as the backup quarterback to Russell Wilson. He was traded from the Green Bay Packers to the Seahawks before the 2018 season for a sixth-round draft pick in the 2019 draft. Since then, Hundley has seen sporadic playing time in recent seasons, throwing just 10 pass attempts in the past four seasons.
Hundley is best known for a 2017 stint when he started nine games for an injured Aaron Rodgers. Hundley completed 192-of-316 pass attempts with nine touchdowns, 12 interceptions and 1,836 passing yards for a 70.6 quarterback rating.
Drew Lock will miss the Seahawks’ upcoming preseason game due to COVID-19.
Just minutes after it was revealed that Lock would start his first game as a member of the Seahawks on August 18 versus the Chicago Bears, it was announced that the 25-year-old quarterback would sit after testing positive for COVID-19.
Via ESPN’s Brady Henderson:
“The news came roughly 90 minutes after coach Pete Carroll declared that while Geno Smith was still leading Seattle’s quarterback competition, Lock would start Thursday against the visiting Chicago Bears,” Henderson wrote. “Instead, Lock will have to isolate for at least five days in accordance with CDC guidelines, which the NFL is now following after putting its coronavirus protocols on pause.”
Geno Smith currently leads the quarterback competition versus Lock. However, Lock took all of Seattle’s first-team reps on Tuesday in preparation for his start. Head coach Pete Carroll revealed that it’s been the plan all along for the young quarterback to start the team’s second preseason game.
“This is part of the plan,” Carroll said. “Regardless of what happened, we were going to give Drew a chance to start a game and just see what happens. Fortunately, he’s played really well, and he deserves a shot to play just like everybody deserves a shot to play and show what he can do.”
Lock performed well in his debut versus the Pittsburgh Steelers, completing 11-of-15 passes for two touchdowns, no interceptions and a 131.1 quarterback rating. However, he fumbled the football on a blind-side sack that eventually led to the Steelers scoring the game-winning touchdown.
“Yeah, he made a mistake,” Carroll said of Lock’s miscue. “He needed to read the guy coming off the edge, and he didn’t do it right, so he got walloped. He’ll never miss that hot again. That was a great lesson.”
Following their game versus the Bears, Lock will have another opportunity to start next week when the Seahawks visit the Dallas Cowboys for their final preseason game.
Stay Connected

source

Leave a Comment