Deadly Red Line shooting prompts Chicago police to increase attendance

A 29-year-old man aboard a Red Line train was shot dead on the South Side early Saturday, and the Chicago Police Department said they would increase their presence on the CTA as early as Sunday.

The Red Line attack was “a senseless act of violence that has no place anywhere in the city, and especially not on the CTA,” President Dorval Carter Jr. said Saturday afternoon during a news conference at police headquarters in the South Loop.

“The CTA is doing everything possible to stop these horrific acts of violence,” Carter said.

The man was on a northbound train in the 100 block of West 79th Street at about 2:05 a.m. when he was shot multiple times.

The man – one of four fatal shootings in the city overnight – was pronounced dead at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

“Violent crime has increased,” and so police are adding more resources, Superintendent David Brown said during the news conference.

“Incidents like this, whether on the CTA or in our neighborhood have no place in this city,” Brown said. “This is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. No resident in any part of the CTA or in our neighborhood should ever think twice about their safety.”

Brown said the police department is “committed to doing whatever it takes to make the CTA and the city as a whole safer” and announced another team of Chicago police officers — including K-9 dogs. – will be added to the CTA on Sunday, Brown said.

Brown did not disclose how many more officers would be added or where they would focus their efforts.

“The CTA is a priority for this department and this city,” Brown said, adding that protecting every neighborhood and city agency is a “balancing act,” because so many people are demanding more protection and only so many at hand. There are all the resources.

“We are collaborating with the CTA to increase safety for our riders, and we know that the CTA is important to our culture and our commerce and thus to hardworking Chicagoans at work, school and countless other places and events and then Have to go back home,” Brown said.

Brown said the department continues to expand its presence on the CTA by “adding more and more Chicago police officers to the CTA.”

In addition, CTA will also bring back K-9 security guard teams, according to Carter, who said details of the canine deployment are still being worked out, but an announcement with more details is expected “in the near future.” .

“In the meantime, both the CPD and the CTA will remain focused on finding ways to keep the system secure and make it even more secure,” Carter said.

afternoon briefing

afternoon briefing


Top story from the editors of the Chicago Tribune, delivered to your inbox each afternoon.

Three more murders occurred overnight and were brought to the news conference.

One of the three is located in the city’s West Chatham neighborhood at 210 W. 87th St., where a 26-year-old man was standing in a parking lot with several people, and one or two unidentified men opened fire, in the direction of the group during the meeting, said Detectives Rahman Muhammad, deputy chief of Chicago police. Told. The man was struck several times and after being taken to the Stroeger hospital he was recounted.

Muhammad said another man, 29, was killed at 430 S Clark St in the Loop in the city’s Printers Row neighborhood at around 3:20 a.m., injuring another person.

The man was taken to Northwestern Hospital with multiple bullet wounds on his body and was pronounced dead. The second person, a 23-year-old man, was also taken to Northwestern Hospital with gunshot wounds to his right leg and arm.

Muhammad said the 23-year-old told police that there was an “argument or brawl” over the shooting, and that several shots were fired in the direction of the two men.

The most recent fatal shooting occurred at 5:15 a.m. on the west side, 4040 W. Monroe St., Muhammad said. There, a 30-year-old man was found unresponsive and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital with gunshot wounds to his back and neck. He was later declared in the hospital.

Muhammad said no one was in custody for any of the massacres, and that he would continue to investigate the attacks.

Leave a Comment